Dog poisoning treatment and prevention

Dog poisoning treatment and prevention

These are only a couple of safe family things that can be unsafe if ingested by your dog. As a Pack Leader, it’s crucial to know about the numerous common substances that can be harmful or poisonous for your dog, and you should also know about steps you can take to both treat and prevent dog poisoning.

Common reasons for dog poisoning

Things safe for us does not mean they are safe for dogs as well. Truth be told, a number of the foodstuffs, medicines, and items you keep in your home can be very poisonous to your dog.

Beneath, we’ve recorded probably the most widely recognized harmful food for dogs.

Human Food

Your dog’s digestion system is different from your own, which is the reason some of your most loved snacks can be risky and, at times, lethal to your dog. Basic dog poisons found in the kitchen consists of chocolate, avocados, raisins and grapes, Liquor, and macadamia nuts. Xylitol, an artificial sweetener present in sugar-free gum, can likewise cause undesirable health issues, like weakness and seizures. While some human food can be shared safely with your dog, Its is wise to take no chances and just give treats particularly made for dogs.


Many famous family blossoms and plants can be harmful to your dog, including tulips, sago palms, daffodils, rhododendrons, and azaleas. At whatever point possible, dog owners should abstain from bringing these plants into their homes or yards.

Human medicines

Numerous medications that are useful to people can be dangerous for dogs. The absolute most normal cases include blood pressure, antidepressant, and pain medications. Over-the-counter medicines, for example, ibuprofen, Tylenol, Advil, fish oil supplements and Aleve can likewise be lethal. To avoid mischances, you should keep all of your medicines in cupboards that are out of reach for your dog.

Household items

There are various basic Household items containing chemicals that should never be ingested by your dog. Cleaners, pool cleaning chemicals, antifreeze and yard and garden products would all be able to cause serious health hazards for dogs that eat them. Antifreeze is especially dangerous because it is fatal but tastes sweet, making it an alluring poison to your dog if not stored away properly.

Bug sprays and rodenticides

Items created to fight ants, cockroaches, and other bugs can be harmful to dogs. drinking rodenticide can similarly lead to difficulties. Make certain such items are unreachable from your dog, and always follow instructions for using these items in close proximity to dogs.

Indications of dog poisoning

Distinctive poisonous substances may influence your dog in various ways relying upon the amount they ingested. While indications of dog harming can differ on higher scale from case to case, here are probably the most well-known:

Showing abnormal behavior


No, or decreased urination


Discoloured gums


Always thirsty


Excessive urination


Lack of hunger



In the event that you know or suspect your dog is poisoned…

In the first place, DO NOT panic. Despite the fact that it’s vital to act quickly, you should likewise act carefully— your activities may decide the result of your dog’s health crisis.

Step 1

Gather remaining poisonous substance or some other substances included, for example, vomit. This proof can help your vet and other emergency staff to recognize the kind of poisonous substance that has influenced your dog.

Step 2

Call your vet or the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC). You can contact APCC at (888) 426-4435 and get guidance from animal poison specialists for a $65 fee for consultation.

Step 3

While talking on the telephone with your vet or animal control specialists, you should be prepared to let them know the age, breed, sex and weight of your dog, and also symptoms and other imperative information about the incident.

You might also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *